Language & Biology
November 1, 1994
- Speaker: Derek Bickerton (Linguistics, University of Hawaii): "Perspectives on Human Language Ability"
- Commentator: Julie Tetel (English (Linguistics), Duke)
December 1, 1994
- Speaker: Simon Le Vay (Salk Institute, Chair of the Board of the Institute of Gay and Lesbian Education): "Queer Science: The Uses and Abuses of Research into Homosexuality"
Co-sponsors: Departments of Neurobiology and Zoology
December 3, 1994
Colloquium: "The Biology of Sexual Orientation: Issues and Implications"
- Simon Le Vay (Salk Institute, Chair of the Board of the Institute of Gay and Lesbian Education)
- Commentator: Susan Oyama (Psychology, CUNY)
The Sociology of Science
April 19, 1995
Colloquium: Models and Methods in the Sociology of Science
- Michael Callon (Sociology, Ecole des Mines, France): "The Irruption of Non-Humans into the Human Sciences: Some Lessons Drawn from the Sociology of Science and Technology" [paper read in absentia]
- Commentator: Jonathan Culler (French and Comparative Literature, Cornell University)
- Karin Knorr Cetina (Sociology, University of Bielefeld, Germany): "Theoretical Constructionism: Machines of Knowledge and the Archaeology of Social Domains"