Mathematics and Post-Classical Theory
November 16, 1993
- Speaker: Malcolm Ashmore (Social Sciences, Loughborough University of Technology, United Kingdom): "The Theater of the Blind: Debunking and the Social Production of Nonexistence"; Commentator: Seymour Mauskopf (History; Duke)
October 30, 1993
Symposium: Mathematics and Post-Classical Theory
- Andrew Pickering (Sociology, University of Illinois): "Concepts: Constructing Quarternions"
- Arkady Plotnitsky (English and Comparative Literature, University of Pennsylvania): "Complementarity and Idealization"
- Brian Rotman (Mathematics, Duke): "Mathematical Writing, Thinking, and Virtual Reality"
- John Smyth (Literature and Languages, Bennington College): "Fundaments and Iterates (A Glance at Sunset in Wittgenstein, Shakespeare, Beckett, Cicero and Frege, and a Foray into Games)"
- Commentators: Robert Bryant (Mathematics, Duke), Owen Flanagan (Philosophy and Psychology, Duke), David Morrison (Mathematics, Duke), Roy Weintraub (Economics, Duke)
1994: Language Theory; Biology and Sexuality
March 17, 1994
Colloquium: "Passing Around the Gift: From the Economists to the Anthropologists to the Philosophers"
- Philip Mirowski (Economics and the History and Philosophy of Science, Notre Dame University)
- Commentator: Ken Surin (Program in Literature, Duke)
Co-sponsor: Department of Economics